Cook : Taiwanese Style Cucumber Salad Recipe


This is one of my absolute favorite summertime dishes because it's refreshingly delicious, healthy and super easy to make! It's great as a side dish or starter. I like it as an accompaniment to cold sesame noodles or kimbap. I adapted this recipe based on instructions from my MIL. It works best with Taiwanese cucumbers which are usually available in Asian markets during the summer months. I've also seen them marked as Japanese cucumbers. You can use Persian or kirby cucumbers if you can't find them. The key is to smash the cucumbers instead of cutting them cleanly because the uneven edges absorb the flavor much better.


Taiwanese Style Cucumber Salad Recipe

Ingredients:
Taiwanese cucumbers (about 1.5 lbs.) 
1 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp. sugar
1.5 tsp. rice vinegar or white vinegar (the rice vinegar is more fragrant or "xiang" as we say in Chinese)
1.5 tsp. sesame oil
2 cloves finely minced garlic

Directions:
1. Since you're leaving the skin on, wash your cucumbers well and pat dry. I scrub mine with salt. 

2. Cut the ends off and smash the cucumbers open with the side of a cleaver or butcher's knife
3. Scrape out the seeds cleanly and break up it up into pieces by hand.
4. Put the pieces into a bowl, add salt and sugar. Thoroughly mix in until fully dissolved. 
5. Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
6. Remove from the refrigerator and drain the cucumbers in a sieve for a few minutes.
7. Once drained, add vinegar, sesame oil, minced garlic and toss. Taste and adjust flavor as needed.
8. Cover and refrigerate for another hour to let it set. After that, it is ready to serve.

For a spicy variation, you can also add a tsp. of chili oil.

35 comments

dimitri said...

Looks like a delicious salad. I want to try it one day. Nice photos too.
Have a lovely week.

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Looks very interesting. Not so much of a cucumber fan, but I may give this a go :) Happy Monday doll x

Claudia said...

Yumyumyum, looks yummy and very refreshing! I might make it some day, thanks for the recipe^_^

Lilli said...

Hi Rowena! Thanks for the recipe, it looks very delicious fresh and easy to prepare, should give it a try soon!:) Kisses dear, happy Monday! xo

Natalia | Look-A-Porter said...

Look yummy and I can only imagine how refreshing it tastes! Here I like making my Russian one, with cucumbers, onions, garlic and yoghurt/sour cream and, ideally, a little fresh dill. Also really yummy. x

Jane said...

yum. looks like the perfect summer dish!

little luxury list said...

I love these cucumbers and made them last week. English cucumbers are great for this too and have fewer seeds!


xoxo,
Chic 'n Cheap Living

Ivana said...

Sweetie, this recipe couldn't have arrived at a better moment: my parents are on a much needed vacation, and they left me in charge of our garden. Just yesterday, I picked two full baskets of cucumbers, and I've been wondering what to do with them! I'm definitely going to give this simple recipe a try (and I think I'll be adding that chilli to the mix :) Thank you for the inspiration!

xx Ivana

Macarons and Pearls

A Very Sweet Blog said...

This looks so refreshing and light Rowena! I can see why it's your favorite Summertime dish. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

The Dragonfruit said...

Oooh, what a refreshing treat! Looks super healthy too :)

The Dragonfruit Diaries

ALLIE NYC said...

Hey Thanks for posting I may have friends over for dinner a couple of weeks and I just may make this!

Ali of

Dressing Ken

Marcela Gmd said...

Wow delicious!!! I love salad!!!
Have a good week, dear Rowena!! and my g+and like for you!!!:)))

Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

Sam said...

Hi Rowena, this is my type of dish, love fresh salads and this one looks so yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

j said...

Yum! It really sounds delicious! I picked up Korean cucumber plants in the spring and they are growing like crazy, so I'll try it when they are big enough to pick. I am assuming these will be long and thin but I have no idea.

Love and Ace said...

My mom totally makes this (are you Taiwanese??!) - I love this recipe especially for the Summer, so clean refreshing and delicious! xx Kat

Love and Ace

trishie said...

I've had that before in chinese restaurants. I didn't know it was so easy to make!

Leslie said...

Yummy! Cucumbers are so refreshing and healthy. This salad is perfect for the summer and will all these delicious ingredients, I'm sure it's delicious!!

Happy Monday! xxleslie

Unknown said...

This looks delicious and I love the pictures.
xoxo

www.cakeandcouture.com

Sarah Sekaran said...

This looks so good, and so easy to make! Thanks for sharing! xx

Keep calm and carry lipstick.

Unknown said...

I love this,so simple and looks so yummy since I really love cucumbers haha.
Thanks for sharing girl,bookmarked it!
xx

www.styleofozoz.com

Sam said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me hun :) Hope your week is going well too.

gigi said...

can I just say yum! that looks amazing. will def. be trying this asap. xx. gigi. www.gigikkitchen.blogspot.com

CQUEK said...

interesting interesting , i love cucumbers

Unknown said...

Looks really fresh, original and super easy to prepare,
I will try and say you what I think.
I hope you are enjoying a great Summer Rowena

Charline . said...

It looks so yummy!
I didn't know what to cook for tonight so thank you for the idea :)

See you xx

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

I love cucumbers!! This looks so good!!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings

Victoria | Oh So Pretty said...

Omg this looks sooo good! This would make a perfect snack :) I'm definitely going to have to try this!

Fashion-isha said...

This sounds simple and refreshing. I love that your smash the cucumbers!
xo
Sharon

ShyScout said...

So simple and yummy looking! I will have to try this in place of salad one day :]

Maggie said...

I actually make this for my mom! Even she can't make it as good as me. :D Your recipe looks really good too!

Unknown said...

AH yes I love this stuff!! My mom use to make it all the time and it's so refreshing!!

Christy
Sunnywithasideof...

Jo said...

I love this as a starter. Oh, it is so easy to make. Maybe next time I should try to make it myself.

Unknown said...

This looks delicious and great for the summer!

xo

Sophie Miles said...

this looks SOOO tasty. Really want to try it out, I'm not the best cook in the world but it seems so simple! Thank you so much :)

Smiling Soph

jhony said...

good