Birchbox BYOB Review

Birchbox BYOB, Birchbox Build your own Birchbox, Birchbox, Birchbox Beauty Box

Following up on my shop tour of the Birchbox SoHo store in NYC, here are the details on the products I chose for my BYOB. The Build Your Own Birchbox feature lets you select the color of your box along with five samples from these categories: body &nails, skincare, fragrance, hair and makeup for $15. Yes it costs $5 more than the subscription Birchbox you receive in the mail but you get the products of your choice and it's instant gratification, not to mention it's a fun experience. From a value standpoint, I think it's definitely worth it as the Klorane Dry Shampoo I got sells for $9 on it's own and you still get the benefit of trying before you buy. Now onto the products...  I think may have discovered a few gems. Have you tried any of these?

Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner

Cynthia Rowley Beauty Eyeliner in Black : I switched to cake liner years ago but would happily alternate it with this eyeliner pencil in a heartbeat. It's a true black with a creamy texture that applies smoothly and lasts the day without smudging. I'm impressed with the performance and it's so cute looking. Plus it's vegan, cruelty-free and paraben-free. I actually like it better than Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes and Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eyeliner. The full size sells for $16 and also comes in Charcoal, Silver, Violet, and Sky Blue.

Repurchase: Yes and in another color too

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk

Klorane Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk : I've been wanting to try this particular dry shampoo that features a pure botanical formula for awhile now so I was thrilled to see it among the hair product choices. This has a light fresh scent and leaves my hair clean and volumized. It does spray out white but if you make sure to spray it at least 10 - 12 inches away from your hair and give it a brush, this won't be an issue. The full size product which is 3.2 oz sells for $19.50.

Repurchase: Yes

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser

Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Starter Kit : This two part skincare system has apparently won over 100 beauty awards and has a an enormous cult following around the world so I knew I just had to try it. The creamy cleanser contains a combination of cocoa butter and eucalyptus essential oil and rosemary though it smells mostly of eucalyptus. You massage the cleanser onto your face and follow by sweeping your skin with the muslin cloth soaked in hot water to remove it along with dirt and makeup before splashing with cold water. I was amazed by how gentle yet effective this process was and how it really does remove all traces of your makeup in one go. I'm not ready to give up on double cleansing but I really wouldn't mind incorporating this into my skincare regimen on a weekly basis because it does kind of feel like a mini spa treatment. The cleaning and exfoliating effect really softened and refreshed my skin. There is a starter kit for this product that's $24.50. It includes a 3.3 oz. cleanser and two muslin cloths.

Repurchase: Yes

Whish Shave Crave Shave Cream

Whish Shave Crave Shave Cream : Acai Grapefruit : This shaving cream made with eco friendly and organic ingredients is really more like a lotion since it doesn't lather up. And a little goes a long way to produce a close shave. The acai grapefruit scent was fruity and pleasant and I liked how soft it left my legs. The full sized version of this product is $20 which seems a little pricey for a shaving cream to me even if it does feel quite luxe.

Repurchase: No

Joie Folle de Joie eau de parfum

Joie Folle de Joie eau de parfum : Folle de Joie translates to "crazy with joy" and this scent which is described as a mix of mandarin, rose and sandalwood has a sense of happiness. It's also very feminine and heady. I couldn't wear it all the time as this fragrance is a bit strong for me but this would be a hit with anyone who like fresh and bold florals. The full size scent is housed in a really gorgeous vintage inspired bottle and retails for $98.


Repurchase: No

63 comments

Jenmarie said...

I once was a member of Birchbox but cancelled my subscription after a few months because I wasn't impressed with the sample sizes or some of the products. I have not heard of this new BYOB feature though and think it's really intriguing! The Cynthia Rowley eyeliner sounds wonderful and I love the packaging!

Beauty Unearthly said...

Beautiful post, really interesting! Great items! xx

Beautetude said...

Amazing goodies. Too bad they don't ship to Canada at least that's what I have heard. The eyeliner looks really good.
Beautetude

Emmylou said...

I wish we have that Birchbox store. Would love to try a lot of products before buying full size, you know? That Cynthia Rowley liner sounds fab.

Mihaela Pojogu said...

You named lots of interesting products, thanks for sharing your impressions. The perfume sounds delightful.
xo

Pinkoolaid said...

nice contents :) i haven't tried any subscription boxes yet but this looks pretty nice

http://www.pinkoolaid.com/

Unknown said...

great products!
www.mrsnoone.it
kiss

oomph. said...

love that they offer a byob! i've been seeing klorane around the web and would love to try it.

[oomph.]
$300 Sephora Giveaway!

The Dainty Dolls House said...

Looks like amazing products, these boxes always look marvellous xx

Lilli said...

Hi Rowena, I was very curious to see how you cusomized your own box and I think you picked the most interesting products. I think the higher prices of the byob worths as I am picky when is about this kind of service, I fear I found something I dislike! In this way you chose what you wanted to try so is very good. Ive used Klorane shampoos too and they are great, Im very curious to try the cleanser kit, it inspires me a lot! Hugs my dear, have a good Wed xo

Jackie Harrison said...

Nice box cool items.
http://tifi11.blogspot.com

outfitvandedag said...

Looks cool! Great review doll.

xx
isa | My Blog: Stoer & Sexy

Pooja Mittal said...

the box looks so useful , i like the big enough sample sizes
the liner looks promising
kisses
www.beingbeautifulandpretty.com
www.indianbeautydiary.com

MITCH said...

It's a great thing that you can make your own beauty box. I have never subscribed to any beauty box because I'm afraid it'd be a waste if I don't like the products they give.

xx
http://felishmichelle.blogspot.com

Style and Paper said...

Great picks!! I've always wanted to try the Liz Earle cleanser!

xoxo
Style and Paper
Bloglovin

FASHION TALES said...

This looks pretty interesting, I think the cleansing hot cloths and the Cynthia Rowley eyeliner woudl be my favourites. :) Thanks for sharing about this box Rowena.
xx/Madison
http://fashiontalesblog.com

Unknown said...

I know Klorane shampoo and it is great!
thanks for the review of the box

ciao

Lena L said...

I'm working on a short review on Folle de joie right now. I like it a lot but don't think it is a full-bottle-worthy.

BTW, Rowena, I've noticed that the full post does not open in mobile view. I tried it within two different frames (bloglovin' & feedly) and also directly from the link you shared on twitter. Maybe it is the dynamic theme you're using? Or maybe it is just me. Thought I should let you know at least. :)

Unknown said...

I love the Cynthia Rowley eyeliners! I have them all. I am going to NYC this weekend and can't wait to build my own box. Thanks for this! I am going to try that cleansing system :)

Just Another Shopaholic said...

I really want to try the Cynthia Rowley eyeliner!!

Beauty Editer said...

the contents are amazing!


xoxo;
BEAUTYEDITER.COM (BEAUTY BLOG PHILIPPINES)
LIKE BEAUTYEDITER.COM ON FACEBOOK

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous! I would love to pick my own BB! I just got the Klorane dry shampoo in my ipsy bag this month and so far I am loving it. I got the eyeliner in my BB last month and really liked that too.

Margaret Dallospedale said...

Amazing products babe
I love this beauty box
Kisses
Maggie D.
The Indian Savage diary

June said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
June said...

Amazing contents! Great box!
xx
www.junewantsitall.com

buffalo journeys said...

wow, great goodies! That sounds like a great eyeliner; I'd love to give that a try.

Paola Lauretano said...

Interesting box.... great contents!!!!

Ciao bellissima!!!
Kisses
http://expressyourselfbypaolalauretano.blogspot.it

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Rowena,

You have chosen such great products - thanks for sharing.
I love Klorane shampoo with the sweet botanical ingredients.
Hope you are enjoying the week
hugs
Carolyn

Jointy&Croissanty said...

Great products, especially Klorane shampoo.

jointyicroissanty.blogspot.com

Love and Ace said...

So awesome you got to tour the company! I love their concept - so unique and necessary! Thanks for sharing. xx Kat


Love and Ace

Hélène Heath said...

I've actually tried all of these and I have to say that the Liz Earle cleanser is probably the best I've ever used.

xx Hélène
www.FashionOverReason.com

Midnight Cowgirl said...

The cleansing kit sounds really nice!

ALLIE NYC said...

Oh my I LOVE this concept!! Just love and you chose come great things I so have to get my ass in there!

Allie of ALLIE NYC
allienyc.com

Food, Fash, Fit said...

This is such a good idea - and you picked some amazing products! So jealous we don't have this in the UK!

www.foodfashfit.com / Read my latest post here!

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure I NEED that Cynthia Rowley eye liner, for the cute packaging alone. But aside from that, I've been looking for an eyeliner that doesn't transfer or smudge. By the end of the day it seems like even my Urban Decay eyeliner has moved from top to bottom lash line. :-( I'll have to check this out!

Unknown said...

i've heard so much about that klorane dry shampoo and have been dying to try it. after reading your review, i may have to give it a shot now!

Heide Padilla said...

I have heard of Birchbox. But when I checked their website, they don't ship to my country. Would have been fun.

http://kintsugioflife.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Loooove your blog! Really!
Just followed you :)


Maybe you will like my blog too xx
Love, Dilan from http://dilanergul.blogspot.co.at/

Unknown said...

Would love to try that dry shampoo - Klorane is a brand we can't readily get over here. Your picks are all awesome - that is one beauty box that's definitely worth the money!
Emma | Fluff and Fripperies

Effortlesslady said...

Great picks, I love the black eye-liner.
www.effortlesslady.com

Natalia | Look-A-Porter said...

Cleanse & Polish was once my must-have... I loved the smell and the effect of it on my skin. Wonderful content! x

AnaReyna said...

Now I feel I need one!!

http://www.calluswhatever.com/
New Post: WHAT TO PACK?

xo,
-Anita

Anonymous said...

Oh I need one of these boxes right now!

BEAUTYEDITER.COM – Beauty Blog said...

Love the contents! Your photos are so on point. Have an amazing Friday!


Kenny,
WHATKENNYHEARTS.COM
INSTAGRAM @kennydaily / BLOGLOVIN / FACEBOOK

Jane said...

so interested in the eye liner. definitely want to look into it!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard about Cynthia Rowley makeup before up until this week and I've since heard of it twice now! I love the packaging of this beauty box.. thank you sharing your review, Rowena :)

http://findmethoseheels.blogspot.co.uk/
- I follow back on Bloglovin' -

x

Anonymous said...

At least 3 out of 5. Thanks for the review!

Christina @ Happy or Else said...

This store is a really brilliant idea. I want to try that dry shampoo! I have a hard time finding scents that I like so samples would be very helpful!!! I also go through things very slowly and don't buy more stuff until what I have is gone so this is so cool!!!! They need this store in LA!

Jayme @ Her Late Night Cravings said...

We just love the Liz Earle cleanser!! Hope you do too!

Jayme & Mendi @ Her Late Night Cravings

debra mejia said...

Looks like you got a pretty box of fun goodies to try. I would love to try the Cynthia Rowley eye pencil.

Coco said...

Thank you for the super useful review! As an eyeliner addict I might try this one you suggest!
Baci,
Coco
Coco et La vie en rose / Bloglovin / Facebook / International Giveaway

Lenya said...

Great stuff. Great and most helpful review. Thx for sharing honey.
xox
Lenya
FashionDreams&Lifestyle

Anonymous said...

Great review, and fantastic pictures! x

The Belle Narrative

A Very Sweet Blog said...

whish is definitely more miss than hit! hahaha fantastic review! overall some really nice products.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Heel in Mint said...

I love the flexibility that comes with choosing your own products and trying before buying is definitely a great concept. I love the Cynthia Rowley packaging!

xx
Heel in Mint
www.heelinmint.com

JeannLiew | Luminnej said...

Wow! Rowena, you have some really interesting products in your beautiful pink box! Yes, I have to agree with you, worth it for the extra $5 as you get to pick what you really would love to try!

Always good to know that you are using a product that is vegan and paraben free *_^ The black eyeliner looks pretty and sounds good too. Oh, have heard so much and read about Liz Earle's products but have not tried any of them just yet! I believe they also have a makeup range that looks pretty promising with their natural philosophy and simple nice packaging.

It looks like you have really found some gems this time around. What a great shopping reward! It is always happy to know that one had a great buy so that things will not be left "alone" and wasted:)) Good to always sample, that is why I like to ask for them to try it out first *_^

Cheers,
Jeann

Unknown said...

Looks like you got some pretty neat products.

Gaby Fauchon said...

I really really love Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser, it's amazing on my sensitive skin. Curious about that Klorane dry shampoo x

The Real Mom said...

Jealous that you got yo go there! I've been getting BB for several years now. Each month is not always great, but even so, I've discovered more repurchases via BB than any of my other subbies. The brand quality is just better, IMO. Over from SITS.

Unknown said...

Ok, I think I agree with everyone that the eyeliner looks amazing! Thanks for sharing in depth!

Over from
www.mytinytribe.com

Unknown said...

I'm a sucker for a good eyeliner!

j said...

You know the samples are small for the price but I just spent 3 months using a sample sized mascara and I apply it every day so it's great sizing for some of us! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh yes, this looks more like it. I've been really wanting one of these boxes for ages but a bit frightened I won't get anything I like or I won't feel it's worth the value. But picking your own? Genius! CANNOT believe you got the Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser in a Birchbox. That is truly something amazing. I need to try it out because the hype - oh it just sounds so good - but so many pennies out of my piggy bank! A sample size is totally what I need. Hope you're doing well, Rowena. Sorry it's been a while! Rosemary x

rosemaryofelephants.blogspot.com